Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Kerfuffle

There's been a bit of controversy over my our short story competition at the Willesden Herald. Articles have appeared in national newspapers, The Sunday Times and the Telegraph as well as Guardian Online etc etc (and there are quite a few etc's). I'm not going to say much about it, I'll just give you a link to the February archive so you can see for yourself, if you're interested. For a while, the WH blog page was getting over 250 visitors per hour.

It's been strange to have people telling me about the competition as if it were a great big thing that I had nothing to do with, as if there were some mysterious powers behind it whose sandals I wouldn't be fit to tie. I've been hushed and shushed, people have complained about 8,000 people being upset (an extra zero added from 800) etc. You can see how the ancient hero tales were worked up till, as I think Flann O'Brien said, forty teams of youths could play handball against the width of Finn's backside.

No comments:

Post a Comment