Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Jackfruit

This one is past its best, very overripe.
It was a bit of a rip-off at £10, reduced to £8,
but the vendor wouldn't cut it.

The fruit has a strong fragrance that some like, though not me.
The seeds are like nuts and can be peeled & boiled or roasted.
They are starchy like potato and almost tasteless
with a texture like butter beans, when cooked. Supposedly high
in various nutrients, but don't take my word for it.

We had a small soursop, a.k.a. guanabana - or, in the Philippines, guyabano - here the other day but I neglected to photograph it. They too can grow as big as jackfruit, as I have seen them growing on a tree trained to a wall near Manila. Soursop is well-named and harsh to eat but makes an interesting juice drink. My wife loves jackfruit but I find the sweet smell nauseating.

No comments:

Post a Comment